Free Legal Information
There is a lot of information on the internet about legal issues, not all of which can be trusted. Secondhand information from your neighbor, friend or aunt might not apply to your case, even though it sounds the same. See the helpful resources below for information.
- Illinois Legal Aid Online – www.illinoislegalaid.org – For accurate answers in English and Spanish to basic legal questions about matters in Illinois, this website is very helpful. This website also has basic forms for download and live volunteer operators (via a chat function) for real time assistance to find information. Click here for the English website and click here for the Spanish version.
- DuPage County Pro Se Assistance Center – Located In the DuPage County Courthouse on the second floor, Room 2017, the Pro Se Assistance Center is staffed by volunteer attorneys on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:30 am – 12:00 pm. There are no appointments, assistance is offered on a first come, first served basis and it is intended for domestic relations cases.
- DuPage Bar Legal Aid Service – Assistance with family law cases and Chapter 7 bankruptcy caused by medical expenses is available through the Legal Aid Service office, located not far from the county complex on County Farm Road in Wheaton. Applicants must meet the financial qualifications for free (pro bono) legal representation. To be screened or for more information, call (630) 653-6212, Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm.
- Administer Justice – Administer Justice is an Elgin-based legal aid organization with several locations. Volunteer attorneys staff clinics on Saturdays at various locations. Closest to DuPage County residents are those held at the Wheaton Bible Church (2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month) and at Christ Church of Oak Brook (3rd Saturday of the month). Click here for the Administer Justice Website (www.administerjustice.org) or call 877-778-6006 for more information and to make an appointment.
- Prairie State Legal Services of DuPage – This legal aid organization handles a variety of types of cases. Applicants must also meet income guidelines for pro bono assistance from Prairie State. Click here for the Prairie State website (www.pslegal.org). For screening or other information call (630) 690-2130.